Sunday 10 August 2008

A note on my old note

This is inside parentheses: I happened to find my immature old memo on a thin book on philosophy (from 2006!) in a web bookshop. It was not about my speciality and the writing was far from up to quality --- I had accidentally posted it after reading this beautiful book and asked the bookshop to withdraw it: and they said they would do so (at that time the site did not allow a poster to cancel such a post oneself).

I suspect it has been there for some time: if so I wonder why I was not aware of it. Now that I found that it has been there at least for some time I feel somewhat stupid to cancel it: after all it has already been public for a while, though I may in the end cancel it, after some time (I should say I spent only a few minutes in writing it, immediately after reading that book).

What I wrote there is not as clear as I'd like my writing to be nor will it be useful for others --- but I do not find the need to add to or retract from that old note, at least what I had written might be honest in its own way, except recording one point: the author of that book is known to be both a great scholar and a political personality; and I am learning about some basics of that social part, on which I wish to unequivocally admit that I am ignorant (that little book however does not refer to this political aspect directly). I am hoping that my learning on that topic, which is slowly proceeding, will be enriched by interactions with my new acquaintance(s) in the modelling and other worlds: since the conversations with sincere individuals whom I respect are what I value most when learning about an intricate historical topic, as well as the reading of those words left by good authors.

kohei