Wednesday 4 July 2007

Today just a few lines...

This afternoon Gary Brown and I had a good chat on scribble design and many interesting topics came out which will be reported soon in this blog. It's great we are working on this project.

Further discussions on Frankel's thesis will be posted tomorrow: I am sorry, I cannot find time today, though it's all in my mind and even now is about to come out of it. What I started yesterday may be called a geneology of procedural modelling, or why the "stack discipline" is so good for modelling a class of computation. But then I also hinted an implicit assumption which makes this beautiful idea work...

Understanding the greatness of this existing idea --- that a computation can be abstracted by a notion of operations, which underlies varied languages including C, Lisp, Java, Algol, Erlang, ML, ... --- is one of the effective ways to reach a solid MDA foundation for communication-centred programming.

Maybe you find this a timid way to approach the new realm, the modelling and programming
for distributed interaction --- well I wish to be careful here not to lose the sight of one of the best things we have now, however mundane they may look after a few decades of its usage. It is also a way of introducing new ideas using the old, mildly and with care.

So see you tomorrow in this blog...